Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Long time no post...

Hi all! Yeah, I know - haven't posted a thing here for a long time. Well, I said I don't know if I can keep it up for long and steady. I'm kinda like that... ;-)

Anyway, on with my bullshit... Due to several assignments I have to give in at my university, I've rediscovered reading. Really. It's not like I've stopped reading or anything, but the quantity and the quality of the material I read have severely decreased. TV series are to blame, definitely, as I spend most of my free time watching them. I've even stopped playing PC games AT ALL, because of it. Sure, I read news and articles at tech sites and I visit Wikipedia at least twice a day, but still, it's not really literature. And I study English Literature for my Degree! I did, however, read in Russian a few times, on my laptop, while riding a bus to or from the university. But all those were Sci-Fi novels. Good ones, for sure, but still pulp fiction.
Anyhow, I've finally started reading some classical literature for the final exams, and written assignments. Wow! It's like I missed this whole part of the world and now discovered it anew. I always thought that classical literature would be boring and too outdated for me, but I was wrong! The old authors knew how to weave a complex and involving stories about their lives or lives of their contemporary folk. And it almost never boring. All is needed, to open one's mind a little bit, to the bigger picture of the world, and not just the one around, but some other world that is just as rich, if not richer. Today's authors lack that complexity and artistic beauty, perhaps due to more commercial approach, since the classic authors were poor and today's authors write specifically for money and fame. I'm generalizing, of course. Anyway, if you do have some spare time and straight (probably not) - do try some of the classic British and American literature, you might be surprised.

No comments: